Server performance

I could imagine it's the AI. Having 30 AI on a 50-slot server with one of the cheaper Xeon processors, it's not gonna work well. Xeon processors in general with ArmA is not such a good idea anyways, if I remember correctly. (don't quote me on it though)

Also, this thread should be in Housekeeping & Maintenance, not here.

You're right in that ArmA 2 is an old game and it shouldn't require that much, but it isn't exactly the most optimized game in the world. (that's an understatement ;)) Also, the kind of advanced AI ArmA uses will, like in most games with such AI, require a lot of processing power.

For comparison, with my server (note I don't have any AI, I just run DayZ 2017 regularly, and I also have a Teamspeak server running on this):

3fCuDHY.png

I run it with -cpuCount=0, and this is my cfg (note: this is just the default Reality cfg):

Code:
MinBandwidth=104857600;
MaxBandwidth=1073741824;
MaxMsgSend=256;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.029999999;
MinErrorToSend=0.003;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
class sockets
{
    maxPacketSize=1400;
};
serverLongitude=9;
serverLatitude=51;
serverLongitudeAuto=9;
serverLatitudeAuto=51;

Here the same problem.

1bTlf.jpg

The Red Part is our Server and the Yellow is our Headless Client.
I also tryed to set him on 4 Cores but seems to jump from core to core.
When the Server is full 30/30 then i have a Server FPS of 2-4.
With original mission, configs and without the HC the problem is still there.
We have the extra-HC installed so that the server performance is better, but seems the whole work was in vain.

Server Hardware Specifications:
PROCESSOR: 2 x XEON E5450 4x3,0GHz 12MB Cache FSB 1333MHz
MAIN MEMORY: 16GB DDRII FB ECC 800MHz
GRAPHIC CARD: nVidia Geforce 120GT 1024MB
HARD DRIVE: [1]---> 60GB SSD Kingston V300 450MB´s || [2]---> WD Scorpio Blue 250GB 7200rpm
DSL CONNECTION: DOWN 100Mb/s UP 8Mb/s

I hope some have a solution and an explanation why this is so

Thanks in Advance!

Regards Ace

To explain what is going on:
1. The Arma II engine can only use 2 cores. Therefore its better to have CPU's with high power per CPU core.
You can set as many cores as you want, it will only use 2. One for AI (Zombies and AI) and one for the game with the players.
2. Dont worry about RAM. The Arma II engine can only use 2 Gigs of RAM.

It is very normal that it uses one core on 100%. If its a good Xeon CPU, you dont have to worry about it. If its a normal computer / gaming CPU, it will evetually break down, and it wont give the same performance.

Dont mean to bump an old thread but ,
I tried the default reality cfg settings which didn't seem to be very good. I'm mostly using the ones from kelly's heroes guide for a 100Mbps connection.

I am upgrading to an E3-1280v2 now. I'll post back results.

Any particular reason why you are using -cpuCount=0? Does that force autodetect? See even on your server it is mostly utilizing core 2 and 3. I would be willing to bet that if you added AI you would have the same results as me. One of those two middle cores would be overused and the other 3 would stay about the same.

I read this in the wiki:

And I think using /affinity 2 and cpucount=2 will be a good option once I have the faster cpu. That way I can run other servers on the other two cores. Right now Arma2 is only wanting to use 2 cores anyway, even when I try to force it to 4 or more. The highest I have ever seen the cpu usage is 45% or so.

next biggest problem is Battle Eye. I guarantee if you turn it off your server will stay maxed out at 50 fps. I operate my own dedicated server as well with ,
PROCESSOR: 2 x XEON E5450 4x3,0GHz 12MB Cache FSB 1333MHz
MAIN MEMORY: 16GB DDRII FB ECC 800MHz WinS08 R2
On a 100 Mbps Line
3 servers with 30,20,20 player caps with at 25-50% cpu and <40% ram usage. i also had these same issues but of course my cpus aren't HT anyway but the low Server FPS was directly related to BE. I disabled script after script and nothing would help, tweaked my net config for over a week.

Ebay, this processor (Xeon E5-1620 v2) is show to have 3.7 Ghz on Intel site, with a boost to 3.9 Ghz.
To reach 3.9 Ghz you need to disable 1 or 2 cores and turn it in a triple/dual core processor?

I had your old processor, E3-1240v2, and it can reach 3.8 Ghz with two cores disabled.

Can you post your fps results with the Xeon E5-1620 v2?

Also, one nice way to measure server overload is looking at the bots reaction time and sight. When the server is overloaded bots take longer to detect your precense and take longer to notice your position change.

On a linux server you can measure server overload by using the UPTIME command which prints out series of three load averages for the last 1 minute, 5 minutes and 15 minutes. It takes into consideration the number of cores also so a server loaded to its max capacity (cpu wise) will have a number equal to its cores. So my quad core VPS is handling the load if the load average is under 4.
I am not pointing out the benefits of using Linux (its better if you can use it, but windows is certainly easier to run Dayz). I am pointing out the system requirements of Dayz and how meager they actually are.
My server is a quad-core xeon at 3.4Ghz with 4GB of ram and a 50GB hard drive. Its a VPS and costs me $7 a month. It is running multiple servers. It has held up to a 20+ player load .. any higher and we would have to move the other servers maybe .. As you can see below, Arma3 uses lots more resources than Arma2 .. of course.

So here are some images to provide some info ...

This is the server without ANY servers running except my teamspeak, the server load was at 0, and peaked at 2/100ths when I just connected via ssh.
dg51dWN.png

Now I start my Overpoch server, with 200 vehicles, AI and I joined the game .. Just me in elektro with zombies
iq2Oi0O.png

Now I started the Arma3 server and you can see during startup the server load goes to 29/100ths and then finally peaks 3 minutes later at 43/100ths .. Now keep in mind that it has 4 cores so 43/100ths is actually 11/100ths (11% load). And then after a few more minutes when the server is fully initialized and loaded its back to 7/100ths (2.25% server load). Now this is with Arma2-overpoch which I have joined, and an Arma3 server running (no players).

XyKBdky.png

And here is the server fps monitor from in-game. You can see its getting 46fps (50 is the max) and is only using 473MB of ram. This server has been running for over 24 hours now without a restart.
cvEDaZL.png

Here is a printout of my cpu info
8Lb3OWS.png

Here is a printout of my system resource usage from the control panel. You can see with 2 servers running I am using VERY LITTLE ram. The benefit of using Linux is that the system itself uses around 200mb of ram where windows requires GB's just for the OS. But thats besides the point ..
abd30Vz.png

Last edited:
Since this thread was already necro'd, I would suggest removing the CPUCOUNT and EXTHREADS line from your startup parameters. The latest versions of ArmA2 automatically detect and optimize these settings for you, so adding them in is obsolete. I have never had CPU problems like this, and I'm running and old HyperV Core2Duo.

Well, that was more or less my point of all those images was that virtually NOBODY should have any cpu or memory issues because Arma2 uses amazingly little resources. If you do, then you have an issue with something else on your system.
And of course I was running Battleye but not BEC.

Back