BanZ Union - Shared ban list between reputable server owners

Please show your interest in the BanZ Union

• Total voters

Doc

Valued Member!

Server owners, this is for us. A Public Access shared ban list by reputable server owners

BANZ IS NOW LIVE
www.banzunion.com

Sever automatically generates an update twice daily if required. Updates will be more frequent as the number of union members grows.

Get Bans list from Downloads page.

BRIEF
We all know that once we ban a script kiddie off of our server, he will only go and start all over again on somebody elses. I propose a shared ban list - a smaller scale version of battleye bans.

THE PROPOSAL
I will code a website where reputable server owners request access and after being hand selected and voted in by a -group- decision, allowed access to the website. On this website, we can share our bans list of hackers only (not the annoying kids) that we have banned after proving to ourselves first hand.
I will program the website to compile our lists of bans into a big list which we can stick into our bans.txt. We could even stick BanZ in our server names to show our unity, just an idea though.

Doc

Very nice idea!!

Tbh I also thought about such a thing but I was very busy with my servers. dayzbrahs.de if you want to check it.

And maybe as a first reply I would like take part in this project! I also would change my servers names and add BanZ to it!!

I am really glad that there is someone else who is thinking about that !!

My bans.txt contains all community bans + dwbans and about 100 "dayzbrahs" bans when I am correct.

Please start the project as fast as you can! Many ppl will be happy about that!!! And you also should open a thread on dayzmod.com/forum!!

Oppa

P.S.: I offer any help that I am able to give you. Just message me!

I have my own cheat detection but im in :D

We have a lot of servers priv8 one of them is on #6 on GT and allways full, the others are rising in users the only limitation are the expensive hosting in argentina u.u

In resume, im in and we can colaborate in the development too.

UPDATE:

The majority of the code is in place - union members can add individual bans or they can post entire bans.txt extracts and it will decompile it automatically and enter the individual bans into the database. Just need to write the code that compiles the bans into a text document (shouldn't take long, but it's very late so I'm off to bed). It's not the prettiest website, but it does the job well. Let's see if we can release this tomorrow night :)

Sounds really good Doc. Once you have you first version out and working lets find this a home and make it sticky.

I voted 'I am a server owner and would be interested in participating', but I would add, the gotcha anti-hack I am running has not banned anyone yet :(

That project stopped almost 4 months ago - and it wasn't as comprehensive as I am attempting to acheive.

I have begun work on the project - I hope to complete the alpha version it in a few days. Anybody with extensive knowledge of the scripts system that would like to help, please message me :)

Really? Last update 8th of December https://code.google.com/p/dayz-community-banlist/source/list but you probably know better since you obviously researched it thoroughly before you started your project

The banlist hosted on CBL hasn't been updated in awhile, just the battleye filters
While there has been 1 or 2 removals from the cbl ban-list, its basicly in limbo
There is also a notice on the homepage...

2012-09-03 banlist is currently not being updated due to serious illness of a team member :(

While i have some concerns about how u define reputable server admin.
Also if it takes only 1 strike = person makes it on banlist,
or if u will implement a weighted system like CBL did, where it would take afew reports to make it on the list..

Since i know from experience some hackers like to try & get other people banned for giggles...

Anyway wish u luck, as it would be nice to get something like another CBL banlist up & going again

Look @ the commit history, the list update in november is 1 removal from the banlist...
Didn't even warrant a proper log comment...

Next previous commit was adding 1 hacker in october, and afew updates in september...
Also the last update from the maintainer wiechers jens is Sept 2nd.
So it really just looks 1 person with access to the banlist added the odd local server ban to the list

Also if u look @ open issues (hacker reports, people wanting to get removed from the list)
The 1st open issue for a ban (that isn't a patch, file diff) is from Sept 1st.
And there are also around 2600 open issues built up now

But either-way there is no harm in some competition.

Sounds really good Doc. Once you have you first version out and working lets find this a home and make it sticky.

Woop, incentive to work harder :)

While i have some concerns about how u define reputable server admin.
Also if it takes only 1 strike = person makes it on banlist,
or if u will implement a weighted system like CBL did, where it would take afew reports to make it on the list..

Since i know from experience some hackers like to try & get other people banned for giggles...

That's a good question and to be honest I really don't know... yet.

On my servers, I find it easy to tell when somebody is a hacker and when somebody is a victim, but that's not a good enough to anyone justify a Ban I guess. I have written some guidelines for when issueing bans. The code is in place to input your single/multiple bans to the database, by one of two convenient methods. At first I limited it so bans weren't duplicated, but I guess I could allow users to duplicate them and then give them a weight based on how many different members have reported that guid/ip. When a server owner generates their bans list, they would automatically receive all of their own bans plus a selection of community ban's based on our weighting factor. Next question, what's our weighting factor?! Personally I've never banned somebody twice, obviously. So there is a certain reliance here on other server owners who are in the union to report the same people for hacking. Any input on how the works system would be useful![/quote]

I just have one question, what will prevent this list from false positives of which the CBL is full of.

We're not battleye, we would never be able to reliably view script executions and as such, it will never be 100% reliable. The reliance on here falls on the selection of server owners who are populating the list. If everybody is at a level where they can understand situations where players are clearly hacking and their issued ban is personally verified by them, then there is no reason for a false positive to occur. Personally, I only ban if I witness a hacker do something - some are stupid enough to teleport to me and shoot me etc etc. Reliance on a scripts log is not always satisfactory. If in the system we set our weighting to 2, where 2 independent server owners need to report the same guid for a ban to be effective then there is a slim chance a false ban will be issued. Then again we fall on to the issue where two independent bans by people in the union isn't that much of a likely occurance - we would never have a populated bans list. We could also give server owners an option to report severity when they report - ie minor hacking/major hacking. Where you would only use a major report if you were 100% convinced the player is hacking, but two independent minor reports would be needed to constitute a ban. All just idea's but that's stuff we can deal with after the code for data collection is written.

Alright I just want to make sure innocent people do not get added. The CBL is filled with a bunch of bans submitted by admins that don't know how to properly read log files.

Alright I just want to make sure innocent people do not get added. The CBL is filled with a bunch of bans submitted by admins that don't know how to properly read log files.

Yes I completely share your concerns. I think limiting access to join the union and submit bans to good server admins will help with that. But I would still make it so anybody can download and use the bans list.

Look @ the commit history, the list update in november is 1 removal from the banlist...
Didn't even warrant a proper log comment...

Next previous commit was adding 1 hacker in october, and afew updates in september...
Also the last update from the maintainer wiechers jens is Sept 2nd.
So it really just looks 1 person with access to the banlist added the odd local server ban to the list

Also if u look @ open issues (hacker reports, people wanting to get removed from the list)
The 1st open issue for a ban (that isn't a patch, file diff) is from Sept 1st.
And there are also around 2600 open issues built up now

But either-way there is no harm in some competition.

I dont know where you are looking but between 15th and 20th of November 40 bans where added by dwarden https://code.google.com/p/dayz-community-banlist/source/list

Back