Dayz Sahrani - Mod Development - Work In Progress

You tell me your skills, and I can assign tasks, if you don't have any but are interested in learning I can point you towards how to's and maybe come up with something to do for the project?

Honestly I don't realistically think the A2 mod is going to get developed much more.

So what are your plans then?
Porting day7 and smd sahrani to arma3 or are you going to do something entirely different?

Well, no DayZ content can be used in A3 so, def not porting the mod as is.

I really don't know tbh.

I am going to work with M1lkm8n on getting the terrain into A3 as is. Then if that goes well, I'm likely to circle back and do a second version of the map that is more suitable for a post apocalyptic mod and has the cities more built out.

I have a bunch of people who are wavering in and out of contributing or not, so it essentially is dependant on them/others, I just don't have the skills required to build a mod from the ground up.

Realistically speaking, I don't see much more happening, but you never know.

I spent some time tonight attempting to modify one of M1lkm8n's buildings to make another building. I got a bit accomplished, and will start learning how to use o2 better.

The idea is to try to do the building, and maybe one other one that can be mirrored/copied to make other buildings, and then place those on the map myself.

Once (and more importantly IF) I'm able to do both those things, then I will do at least 3 more buildings I have in mind, then do all the pieces for the building system we've had in mind since the beginning. HOPEFULLY I can then get some assistance in programming all that.

My main objective is/will always be making Sahrani a better nicer terrain with more open buildings. I'd love to focus on my own interests more, but I've always felt an odd obligation to the terrain.

Well, on the 3rd go, I've pretty much got this sort of cut/copy/paste editing in O2 down. I made the building and got it in game, it's got some minor issues that I have to fix, and the config isn't done right, so I'll fix those... Then I'll have M1lkm8n walk me through putting it down in Visitor in A2.

Then I'm either going to open a few more buildings that I think I can, or I might start working in Visitor to do some cool stuff that we've wanted to do for a while but were keeping the map faithful to it's past...

I'll see which I find easier, and try to get some more stuff done...

Last edited:
that is freaking awesome
i've tried getting into modeling and didnt go wel.
have no contacts that are up to level with this stuff in arma :(

Honestly this was REALLY easy, I mean M1lkm8n is holding my hand through it, so that obv. helps, but I'm prob. going to do a copy/paste-er's guide to modelling in O2....

I've got almost all the little gaps in the model fixed now, and the geolod is pretty much fixed already, just have to get the glass and doors ironed out, then I just have to go in and do the View LOD's but those should be quick too.

Once I get this one done well I'm going to give a solid look at what other things I think I can copy/paste together. I have a feeling there at least a few.

Honestly this was REALLY easy, I mean M1lkm8n is holding my hand through it, so that obv. helps, but I'm prob. going to do a copy/paste-er's guide to modelling in O2....

I've got almost all the little gaps in the model fixed now, and the geolod is pretty much fixed already, just have to get the glass and doors ironed out, then I just have to go in and do the View LOD's but those should be quick too.

Once I get this one done well I'm going to give a solid look at what other things I think I can copy/paste together. I have a feeling there at least a few.
Yes, plz. I can edit LODs and texture maps but I need to know how to do more!

I'm actually streaming now, I was hoping I'd be able to edit the videos from there, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

I'm doing a quick write up.

Basically all I'm doing is using the "touch faces" tool to select the faces I want to get rid of and then hitting "d" (NOT DELETE) this deletes the face but not the vertices.

Once you delete all the unneeded faces, you delete out any straggling vertices with the "select vertices" tool

Then you go back to "touch faces" and select the faces you want to copy, copy/paste/move that's really it.

I'm starting from a building that M1lkm8n has finished, so it's obviously a lot easier than starting with closed buildings.

But after I finish this and get it down in Sahrani, I'm going to give doing a building that has 6 copy/mirrored versions... if THAT goes well, I should be able to use that to re-do the previously done apartment building that had a weird layout....

Then (or if that fails) I'm going to do the 2, 4, and 7 story Cherno apartment buildings, they have enough done rooms to copy/paste/mirror/alter to make the entire building enterable instead of the couple of (or no) rooms they have now.... Hell even Standalone didn't make them floor to ceiling enterable... I have no doubt it will be fine, we haven't noticed ANY lag increases with all the new buildings we've done so far.

for lag issues you need tons of players to be shure of it thats what i've learned.
what is your twitch?

that is freaking awesome
i've tried getting into modeling and didnt go wel.
have no contacts that are up to level with this stuff in arma :(

Are you on skype? Add me as a contact "nonovurbizniz"

I can add you to all the modelling/scripting/map channels, even if you just sit there and read for a while, you pick a LOT up fast, and you make good contacts. Lots of folks walk people through the learning process.

+++

In the meantime, I streamed and saved all the vids of me re-doing the whole process basically. I have to edit a few more of the LODS, and then do all the view LODS... but the building is MUCH better than the 1st few times I did it.

I'll pop another youtube video of it after I finish the last couple bits and bobs.

I'm going to have to figure out a way to capture the process and edit it all, I can't seem to capture my desktop right with dxtory or fraps.

The write up is coming along decently too.

Coming along very nicely. Shadow lod needs a tiny adjustment, then I need to do the view lods, and fix the configs, but it's basically done now.

I'm going to play a bit with having a lower poly model switch MUCH sooner, I think it might solve the lag in cities problem if done right.

I'm going to drop this until I get the little building 100 percent, BUT.... I dove into that 7 story building that has 6 variants, and it is going SMOOTH AS BUTTER.... I already have a fire escape style stairwell running up the whole building to the roof, with doors at every floor.

This is the Stairwell looking down from the roof:

8KfTE.jpg

and this is the stairwell exits facing each floor on the interior:

8KfZE.jpg

The sweet part is that I just have to do one floor, then copy/paste/move it down or up. Once I got the layout spaced properly it took 10 minutes to copy/paste all the floors in.

I gave this a go, because I was getting frustrated on the little building, it's crazy how finicky the engine is, and you really end up chasing your tail forever on some issues.

But, it's coming together pretty well. Once I get the config set, then it should be good to go onto the terrain. Once I'm comfortable with that, it should be smooth sailing.

I'll do this large building, and the 6 variants, and maybe clean up some of the straggling buildings we've had sitting around for a while... That will make for a HUGE improvement, I've got to try to balance it with some more northern buildings though.

Back