The 'What would you like to see' thread?

I'm not entirely sure if it's been suggested in a previous post, but changeable clothing apparel like in standalone would be awesome.

Perhaps shoes that allow you to run faster or lower noise of footsteps, clothing that will allow more maneuverability but make you colder, etc.
I'm pretty sure this is pretty much impossible - you can't add on to a skin unless we would make a skin for every little bit of clothing in every possible manner - which would be a rediculous amount of work if we want an even decent amount of variety in the clothing.

Hi Shinkicker,

Love the look of the mod! Do you need any help editing skins for weapons, etc? I don't have any real mod experience, but I have a TON of Photoshop experience. I had ideas about making the revolver look beat up, adding scratches and chips and moss to wood stocks on weapons, even adding electrical tape and bailing wire that appears to hold them together. Nothing that would require new models, just editing the skins more along the lines of what has been done already. If you already have plenty of help that's cool too. Keep up the good work (and apologies if I am posting in the wrong thread, excuse the noob-ness).

Just an idea,if animals are gonna become more rare and mainly rabbits then it may serve well to allow lone wolves to use blood bags themselves??This is being suggested for SA but its not taking well as people feel that slaughtering 2 cows and spamming steaks is more realistic then a player giving themselves an IV injection of blood.:rolleyes: No one seems to understand that the survival feel goes away when there is food everywhere though and a fix for this is to.....ehhhh NM!

Just make them rare like weapons so player has something they are constantly on look out for.You can save them then for those life saving moments.Shinkicker,any thoughts on this?

My opinion on this has expanded somewhat while playing 2017 and experienced how difficult, at times, it can be for a lone wolf to get his blood back up. I was just thinking about this today when I heard a vehicle coming toward me as I was gutting a sheep... realizing, if they saw me and wanted to kill me, it was probably just to kill me and not going to be at all about survival. I was trying to get my blood back up after, as a new spawn, I was shot with an M14 through the window of the market in Elektro and then left for dead.

Get rid of blood bags.

People don't stick together because of blood bags... I think people stick together so that they can cover one another or gain a practical and tactical advantage. It's easier to fix/maintain a vehicle, hold a camp or take down a threat when you have numbers. That is why people come together... to "team up."

Blood bags hurt the hunting system in 2017. Squads don't need to hunt one tenth as much as lone wolf players because they pretty much only use food to turn off the hunger indicator. Isn't there an experience to be had in having squads hunting for food, too?

You want to actually get a sense for how few animals there are? You want player interaction over food?

Get rid of blood bags.

When a squad has to go on hunting raids to get enough meat to keep their blood up, you're going to have more interaction between players everywhere on the map. Your going to have fire fights over cows. You're going to have ambushes over sheep meat. You'll have theft for food. Why? Because, while it may seem like there's a lot of food out there, that's because a large portion of the player population doesn't really need it much at the moment.

Blood bags are a crutch.

My opinion on this has expanded somewhat while playing 2017 and experienced how difficult, at times, it can be for a lone wolf to get his blood back up. I was just thinking about this today when I heard a vehicle coming toward me as I was gutting a sheep... realizing, if they saw me and wanted to kill me, it was probably just to kill me and not going to be at all about survival. I was trying to get my blood back up after, as a new spawn, I was shot with an M14 through the window of the market in Elektro and then left for dead.

Get rid of blood bags.

People don't stick together because of blood bags... I think people stick together so that they can cover one another or gain a practical and tactical advantage. It's easier to fix/maintain a vehicle, hold a camp or take down a threat when you have numbers. That is why people come together... to "team up."

Blood bags hurt the hunting system in 2017. Squads don't need to hunt as much as lone wolf players because they pretty much only use food to turn off the hunger indicator. Isn't there an experience to be had in having squads hunting for food, too?

You want to actually get a sense for how few animals there are? You want player interaction over food?

Get rid of blood bags. When a squad has to go on hunting raids to get enough meat to keep their blood up, you're going to have more interaction between players everywhere on the map. Your going to have fire fights over cows. You're going to have ambushes over sheep meat. You'll have theft for food. Why? Because, while it may seem like there's a lot of food out there, that's because a large portion of the player population doesn't really need it much.

Blood bags are a crutch.
What if they spawned empty and you could fill them from dead survivors (like 2000-4000 per) or have a friend drain his own blood (in intervals of 1000) to give it to you? That would be interesting. Blood canteens, if you will.

What if they spawned empty and you could fill them from dead survivors (like 2000-4000 per) or have a friend drain his own blood (in intervals of 1000) to give it to you? That would be interesting. Blood canteens, if you will.
Getting blood from a dead body would be unrealistic... the heart is not pumping, so you would need to be able to hang the body in order to drain the blood and I can't really see that happening. Interplayer transfusions suffers the same problem... you'd have to fill a bag first and then drain the bag... it's not as simple as connecting a tube.

Simple solution that fits the 2017 theme, adds to gameplay and gets people moving around the map more: get rid of blood bags.

Getting blood from a dead body would be unrealistic... the heart is not pumping, so you would need to be able to hang the body in order to drain the blood and I can't really see that happening. Interplayer transfusions suffers the same problem... you'd have to fill a bag first and then drain the bag... it's not as simple as connecting a tube.

Simple solution that fits the 2017 theme, adds to gameplay and gets people moving around the map more: get rid of blood bags.

Cherno church though. Really transfusions as we have them now are rather unrealistic as well, but at least you could take that same mechanic and make it more dynamic instead of just instant full health. Really eating 2 cows to regain full health is MORE unrealistic, but I digress.
you can only do so much before it becomes Hyper-realism (see: sleeping mechanic), and then it detracts from gameplay more then it adds.

Oh, great... yet another reason to have people gather in Cherno. ;)

Food is health... it's a game metaphor. Regaining full health from a blood bag is unrealistic because blood bags don't heal gunshot wounds, they take an hour to give and you can't really receive one more than once every few hours... at minimum. Blood bags are just another game metaphor for a health unit. In the game, there needs to be a way to regain health... here we have meat and blood bags. Hunting adds to gameplay between everyone in a way that is, I believe, part of the theme of 2017... transfusions just don't, in my opinion.

If you get rid of blood bags, the hunting and the cannibalism mechanics will come to the fore in terms of survival... and that stuff is what makes 2017 cool, in my opinion.

I have to say entspeak you are bringing up some really valid points as with a couple of other members here on this thread and others. I just want to let you guys know that we ARE reading these comments and are trying to see if we can make adjustments. There's nothing I can solidly say to you guys without giving the game away :D keep the ideas coming!

Hellborn

Thanks, Hellborn. I'm looking forward to what's coming up. With all the variations on DayZ that are out there now, I find myself playing 2017 pretty much exclusively at the moment. It's the closest thing to what I hoped to find when, back in the fall last year, I typed in "zombie video game" in google and came across DayZ.

I don't think I would mind seeing the CZ 550 make a comeback someday but with lowered damage (maybe on par with Lee Enfield) and an updated scope view, like it was cloudy/fogged/crack/condensation from being so old.

Hey Shinkicker, I just want to say, this is the best version of DayZ I've ever played. Absolutely great work! My main concerns are that the survival aspects are still not challenging enough.

Some things I would like to suggest:

Make animals and food more rare. Maybe keep rabbits and chickens at normal spawn rates, and make cows, pigs, goats, and sheep very very rare. Finding big game should feel like a gift from God! Even though food is harder to find in 2017, it's really not much of an issue still. I think if food was a very scarce resource, it would make the game a lot more interesting. More players would resort to cannibalism, and really give the game a harsher feel to it. You ought to force players to hunt for food often, with low yields. The water bottle system is perfect, so don't change that. I just think that finding food should be a top priority. You should also make it so that meat "expires" and cannot be stored long-term; perhaps upon server restart, or a timer of 60 minutes or so? That would be more realistic, and give canned food added value. Players would often be on the hunt for rabbits and such, and resort to eating their canned food only when they need to. Also, there should be harsher penalties for eating zombies; like instead of gaining blood, you lose like 6,000 blood PLUS get an infection. Eating zombies should really be a last resort for VERY desperate survivors.

Make hospitals spawn medicine only very rarely. You shouldn't be able to bust into a hospital 5 years after the apocalypse and find 50 blood bags and any form of medicine you can possibly need. Maybe let 1 or 2 spawn, IF the person is lucky. Same goes for morphine too. As a comparison, make blood bags and morphine spawn about as often as antibiotics currently do. 5 years into the apocalypse, medicine should be a rare, treasured commodity, not something that can be spent and wasted like water. This would also make hero players even more selfless, and a harder status to achieve. Perhaps you could compensate for that by simultaneously lowering the humanity requirement for hero status.

Maybe tweak the weapon and ammo spawn rates too, and make them more rare. Since the Enfield is pretty much the best gun in the game, it's a bit of a shame that it's also the easiest to find. That's really not a top priority for me though, I could live with what it's at currently. But please, for the love of god, don't add any form of sniper rifle into the game! Sniper rifles RUINED DayZ. Getting sniped by some asshole from out of nowhere for no reason is complete bullshit, and it shouldn't be part of 2017.

I'm not sure about this, and don't know if it can be done, but maybe add something like Iodine tablets to sanitize drinking water (or let there be an option to boil your drinking water over a fire). You could still let players drink unsanitary water, but there should be a blood penalty and/or a chance to cause infection. Also, how about adding a feature where you can drink your own piss? jk

Also, how about making rain drop a player's temperature even faster? It should be more realistic when it comes to rain. Force players to seek shelter or start up a fire during a rainstorm. It's kind of ridiculous that you can just run full speed through a rain storm like it's nothing. Same goes for swimming; you should immediately have to scramble to a fire, building, or heatpack after becoming soaking wet. If you choose to swim in the water, it should instantly make your thermometer blink, and open you up to a risk of infection.

Add some different clothing outfits to the game if you can. Not the ghillie suit or the camo gear, but maybe something cool of your own design; hobo-esque of course. One suggestion would be a raincoat; it could make a player immune to rainstorm temperature changes (if you heeded my above suggestion)

In general, I think all items are not rare enough. Equipment, backpacks, guns, ammo and useful stuff should all be even harder to find. This would extend the "playability" time for all players. Let's face it; once we have everything we need, the game is completely boring. Just focus on ways to keep us always looking for more and more.

Please keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to whatever's next.

Hey SwidishHater666, all the loot aspects in your suggestion are already being worked on for the next release by me. Other aspects of your post are already being considered also :) you share most of the ideas that are in other members views too (which is a great thing) which shows us what you players really want to see and we want to make sure we give you what you want but also keeping the experience within the mod's theme. Keep up to good suggestions :)

On the AK weapons front.

Yes this is supposed to be Russia, where the AK variety weapon is as common as the AR-15 and M-14 are in the US in residential areas. The one sell point that keeps these weapons "legal" is that they are semi-auto only, and have smallish magazines.
Which got me thinking, WHAT IF you had to find a toolbox and scrap metal to "unlock" a weapon... Being that maybe AK-74's do spawn, and are lootable at a very rare chance. But, in order to use them @ semi-auto or automatic, or to increase the magazine size, you'd have to modify your weapon. Using some combination of gear would swap the 1 shot bolt action type of gun for a semi-auto version that could hold more ammo.

- On the ammo front - I like the idea of only being able to find bullets in groups of 1 or 2 at a time. However, if I spent the time collecting up 20 of them, I SHOULD be able to combine them into a magazine to use in my rifle, rather then just eat up a ton of inventory space. PERHAPS there could be an "empty clip" item that you can find in military only that lets you load single bullets into to create a full clip.
(It would maybe open like a backpack. Once all the inventory slots of the empty clip were filled with the same bullet type, you can right click the empty clip and combine it - thus swapping the clip for an actual magazine of 20 rounds of AK (as example)).

- Increase the damage of crossbows. They are for the most part 1 shot 1 kill on zombies. Increasing the actual damage would make them more dangerous to players, which I think would garnish some respect for flying pointy objects.

- IF food were to have a decay rate - The idea of being able to can your own food. Tin cans are abundant. Would be a cool addition if you could mash cooked steaks into a can, which in turn made them last longer (indefinitely), at the expense of stripping away the nutrition some (so they only heal 350 instead of 800).

- I like the moltov coctail idea someone had. that was pretty cool sounding.

- I like the increase zombie damage. The increase speed? not so much. One or the other, not both.

- Aircraft of any sort should have a VERY low tolerance for damage. Clipping a tree, taking a couple bullets, hell, even looking at them for too long, should damage them. Perhaps the engines on them, since they are running on old gas, have a tendancy to smoke like a crash site after the engine is shut off for a solid minute of time (giving up it's location for the entire minute).

- I've been seeing that some server admins spawn in a tank for themselves to drive around the map and scare people with. Can we just ban that? It's silly in this scenario, unless it can only go 5 kph because it's track is mostly mangled and it has a perminent slow fuel leak so the crew has to refuel it every so often, even if the engine's off.

Oh, I'd also like to add one more thing. On the subject of weapon variety, there are some other crappy low-tier assault rifles in ARMA 2. Maybe add some of those instead of just the standard AKM/AK74. How about adding the plain ol' AKS to the game, at a rare rate? Also consider the SA-58p, just to add variety to the game. Theres not much difference between those guns but it would be nice just for the sake of variety. I would also suggest making those guns have 10 round clips and semi-auto only. Ammo would also be very rare. For assault weapons, I do like the idea of having to fill empty mags with single bullets, but I'm not sure if the ARMA 2 engine would allow for that. If not, I think custom 10 round magazines with a rare spawn rate would suffice nicely.

The M9 should also be added back into the game, but again, at a very rare rate. It should be a treasured item. I would also like to see the Colt 1911 back as well, but at a slightly lower spawn rate than the revolver.

:BIG EDIT look at crafting and base building near the bottom , and also the RPG suggestion.

Id love too see a revamped Medical system, Say for e.g You can have Heavy bleeding,medium bleeding,low bleeding.
Typical zombie attack will cause low bleeding chance.
A shot from a pistol - Medium bleeding chance.
A shot from a large rifle, Mosin nagant, crossbow , assault rifle Heavy bleeding.
Heavy bleeding should take away , 600 per sec blood. Giving a player 2 minutes to bandage or bleed out and die.
Ontop of standard damage values this should increase the lethality of a lot of weapons ( paticulary crossbow ) if you got hit by a crossbow that bolt is gonna go straight through you, ripping apart organs , blood vessels, arteries. Your gonna be in a mess, Making crossbows a more attractive noob weapon.

Would really like too see more variation on Mellee weapons too
Machetes.
Knifes.

Also think blood bags should heal a lot less, 6k at most. ( and cap how much damage can be healed by blood bags) E.g using 1 blood bag on someone heals 6k, using it again heals nothing

Also a Rusty RPG would be in place, lets face it the Russian military would be stacked with RPGS , and there not very practical for a survivor, so adding it would make some more variety, and wouldnt be overpowered (Player has to sacrifice his backpack too take the RPG, and only add anti tank rounds , this means that you pritty much have to get a direct hit with the RPG too kill a player), also if the tank came along it would make the status quo, instead of hiding/logging out.

Would love a modified post apocalyptic crossbow. Maybe buff the damage a bit 2-3k increase damage.
And ADD A QUIVER BACKPACK :D.
Which brings me onto another point.
CRAFTING
in a apocalyptic situation supplies are limited, meaning people are gonna make do, and try to make what they can.
So in order to make things you need a crafting bench , which has to be created and is static.
( this could tie into base building ).

Possible items that can be crafted. ( Materials posted under each item)
Post Apocalyptic Crossbow.
3 Wood piles, old wiring, handle , crossbow blueprint.
Steel bolts (Comes in 3 bolts per construction)
Scrap metal , 1 Wood pile
Explosive bolts. (Small ammount of explosive damage , and not much radius , definite knockout and major damage if you hit near someone with it)
1 Wood pile , 1 Scrap metal , 2 TNT. You would get 2 Bolts out of this.
Molotov.
Whiskey(Rare loot,can also be used as a painkiller but blurrs vision),rag,lighter.

(
)
Apocalyptic Improvisation Shotgun
3 Wood piles, copper tubing (Rare loot) , 3 stacks of 2 round pellets. (Cannot reload).
Throwing knifes.
3 scrap metal, handle
Knifes/blades.
1-2scrap metal , handle.
Shields-But these should be retextured to a bin lid or a sheet of metal to fit with the apocalyptic setting. (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12139)
4 scrap metal, old wiring.
TNT (Rare Military Blueprint) - This would make a status quo with the tank , making it possible to destroy , or using TNT as a practical application to kill players.
Make the required materials too construct very rare, (Fleshing out the public loot lists)
Bleachx6
Old Wiringx2
Watch

Medical Trauma kit (Rare Medical Blueprint) - A health kit that restores 4k blood , doesnt require anyone nearby. Materials too make this kit are rare.
Cars (?) - If this was implemented the only way it would work is if it had a very very very very demanding list of resources required too construct the car. Too stop clans etc mass producing vehicles. An idea too stop this is make a blueprint drop 0.1% spawn chance in industrial buildings. So ontop of needing to find the blueprint, you also have to produce a very very demanding set of materials to make such a vehicle.

E.g 40 Scrap metal , 1 engine part,4 Wheels.

This would give industrial spawns a more attractive loot value, as people will try to loot industrial areas instead too get Steel, scrap metal, various other crafting tools. Instead of just looting industrial buildings when theyre fixing cars.

Darker atmosphere.
I think this is the most important point ill make in this point as its relatively easy to implement, and has such a major effect on gameplay.
Ill let the links speak for themselves
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13101

Also adding a darker pallete on top of this really will make players think there living in hell. (Which they are : ) )
Interesting link
Possible Rifle attack?
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8418

Base Building:
Base building should be the new major endgame, the only endgame content for Dayz are vehicles.
If we have the ability to pimp out a base , this will be my new endgame.
Should be able to craft lots of aesthetic things. Alongside defences.

Aesthetic ideas.
Crafting bench.
Spike with head on the end of it ( Cannibal )
Small enterable tents
Small crates ( Which you can put stuff in )
Sheds
Towers
Walls
Central H.Q ( A large tent which requires a rare blueprint that can only be used once to stop exploitment, from this tent you can recruit AI soldiers to protect your base)
Car Shed , to park and make cars in.
Tables
Chairs
ETC ETC.

Also to protect bases while people are away , it would be cool if you could recruit 1-2 Ai soldiers that can protect your base while your gone.
This would deterr people base raiding and make it a bit of a challenge.
To recruit these AI you have too feed them, supply them with weapons, and somewhere too stay.
The food cost can be 3 food items every day. ( quite expensive) And if the changes to animal spawns will go ahead will make it as hard as it should be.
Limits: The AI Soldiers can go no further than 50 metres away from the central base piece.
The ai should use the built in Arma 2 Squad function, too assign people you want them not too shoot , and add them into your squad. This way you can also command them too pick up the items that you want.
( they should spawn at first, unarmed until you order them too get the gear, in the squad menu this would be 0-6 then whatever action says pick up double barreled shotgun).
The ai are very easy to kill in Arma 2 as there not very smart, so this wont make these ai soldiers overpowered, especially if they cannot stray far from the base.

I'd be interested in seeing a sledge hammer. One hit to the head kills, obviously; hit anywhere else and you definitely break something.

And, I've said this before, but I'll say it again... I'd love to come over a hill, see this:

m2cFw7G.jpg

and think, "Wow... how beauti- Oh, shit! Zombie horde!"

I just thought of a new idea. How about implementing a can opener for added challenge? It could just be a tool you find, much like the hunting knife. You would need one in order to eat a can of food.

Back