Dayz Sahrani - Mod Development - Work In Progress

Ugh... no. It's a planned thing. Instead of spawns being in a set location they randomly shuffle on restart unless someone accesses them and makes them persistant...

It makes the spawn unpredictable... so there have to be a lot of options... It was also intended to make it easy for private hive admins to setup a "500 vehicle" server with little to no effort...

I guess I should say "was intended to be" a planned thing lol...

We're pretty dug in on ts. I'm sure ShermanFTW would be happy to have discussions via email or other methods as well, but the Ts gives us all an chance to voice ideas among the group all at once...

We've already adopted a new member via the Ts.... "Seven" He's jumped in with both feet and should help us get 0.2 out even faster...

Can you give me some guidance on how to better place the vehicles for bliss? (you can email the details if you like)...

The idea was to have a very large well thought out spawn table with vehicles placed both in logical undisturbed positions (in front of/next to/in buildings ) as well as randomly abandoned in realistic places...

If that's going to mess with bliss I either need to scrap the idea or come up with a better way to do it.

Using Python to place them a certain distance from certain buildings has been discussed but that's a project in and of itself.

We'd like to get .2 out ASAP in order to get a wider player base for more input on future development.

THANK YOU for your comments/help so far... EVERYONE!

Err i am talking about the server code that moves a badly placed vehicle object if the worldspace is occupied by something else, i.e when server is spawning vehicles ?
i.e causing boats to appear on land..

U are doing it on purpose ?

It creates unneeded extra load on server restarts & makes admin tools to monitor player movement & vehicle movement harder to use imo...

For example u are using a web tool to monitor player movements
Vehicle is in a random location & suddenly a player walks near a vehicle...
Triggers a vehicle position sync to db & sudden the vehicle position is updated beside the player on the web tool...
Looks the exact same to web tool of a hacker tp / attaching the vehicle to himself.

Anyway if its a feature i will just use custom vehicle spawn locations from here on out, really don't like idea....
In the end will make it more work to catch some hackers...

-------------------------

Really isn't to much work to add vehicle spawn locations via mission editor.
Then use a tool to translate the vehicle positions from the mission file into a sql file (to insert the vehicle spawns into db).
I just offered the tool to help u guys out, as it appeared to me vehicles was rushed & i assumed u did it by hand.

Plus really 500 vehicle spawn locations = to much load on servers imo
Although i haven't had a chance to see the load test since the changes with the new rpc procedure code in 1.7.5.

----------------
----------------

Irc imo, is alot easier to communicate...
Especially when u consider issues like RL / Timezones..
That and if u are semi-afk u can catch up on what was discussed previously...

Then use a tool to translate the vehicle positions from the mission file into a sql file (to insert the vehicle spawns into db).
I just offered the tool to help u guys out, as it appeared to me vehicles was rushed & i assumed u did it by hand.

Although i haven't had a chance to see the load test since the changes with the new rpc procedure code in 1.7.5.

We rushed on the placing of the vehicles but we tried to make the vehicle spawn locations the best we could. v0.2 will be more refined and we plan to release two versions of the server files one with high and another with low vehicle count.

I don't work on placing the vehicles but the way you mentioned torndeco sounds like the way we are placing vehicles now.

Err i am talking about the server code that moves a badly placed vehicle object if the worldspace is occupied by something else, i.e when server is spawning vehicles ?
i.e causing boats to appear on land..

U are doing it on purpose ?

It creates unneeded extra load on server restarts & makes admin tools to monitor player movement & vehicle movement harder to use imo...

For example u are using a web tool to monitor player movements
Vehicle is in a random location & suddenly a player walks near a vehicle...
Triggers a vehicle position sync to db & sudden the vehicle position is updated beside the player on the web tool...
Looks the exact same to web tool of a hacker tp / attaching the vehicle to himself.

Anyway if its a feature i will just use custom vehicle spawn locations from here on out, really don't like idea....
In the end will make it more work to catch some hackers...

----------------
----------------

Irc imo, is alot easier to communicate...
Especially when u consider issues like RL / Timezones..
That and if u are semi-afk u can catch up on what was discussed previously...

+++

Just real quick

1. We do place vehicle spawns in the editor and then move them to the DB with a tool... the boats were grabbed wrong.

2. We were unaware of bliss moving vehicles close to objects, our intention is to put vehicles in logical spawn points and to by default have LOTS of spawn points AVAILABLE. they weren't intended to all be used... there is reasoning behind this

3. I ran my test server on a 5yo HTPC with a dual core phenom processor and it never so much as hiccuped on restart or after having been up and running for long periods of time with 100pct vehicle spawns turned on and 5 people playing on it on a home internet connection... SO not sure what kind of hardware you have that's lagging?

The idea again is to have lots of OPTIONAL spawns in the table... it will make sense later. Feel free to use whatever tables you want.

4. We are building out this port to be the easiest to date to customize for server managers... so you not liking 500 vehicles is fine... turn them down... others want more than that... and they'll be able to because the tables in .1 are mostly all military and some residential... the next version will have WAY more vehicle variety and spawn locations...

5. I here you on IRC and we do need to get something going that allows us all to track what each other are up to... however for brainstorming and certainly introducing yourself to the group I'd say a pre setup Ts3 server where the WHOLE dev team is on EVERY (EST 8-12pm AT LEAST) is your best option at first.

Come hop on say hi let us here your ideas/comments.

It will be hard for me to be on TS3 from EST 8pm to 12 pm (i live in france).

Sherman told me that you will set up a github for your project, i think it would be the first step to allow different people working on Sahrani ;)

Ugh... no. It's a planned thing. Instead of spawns being in a set location they randomly shuffle on restart unless someone accesses them and makes them persistant...

U made it sound like u have it done it on purpose..
Because u want the server to randomly move vehicles..

I dont like this as any tool that monitors the database for vehicle position updates.
Would have to read the rpt logs

Anyway i will just use custom vehicle spawn locations for my own servers...
Rather not debate it anymore...

Nice work on map though

No, You're mis-understanding what we're trying to do. Eventually there will be a process that would happen on restart only.

The boats just got grabbed wrong.

The Ugh part was me not knowing that bliss would move a vehicle if it's placed inside a building... which should be easy to fix. You just start the server with 100pct spawn chance and delete all the vehicles that moved... tables fixed.

I was never debating you. I'm trying to understand the problem you're having in order to better move forward. Just trying to understand any issues posted here and attempting to eliminate them from the non-Beta release... Your input is not only welcome but greatly appreciated... Please feel free to point out any flaws in logic you see or request clarifications for anything you find odd...

We're not above criticism and want to make this port as easily usable for the widest audience possible. This is our first port and even if it weren't no one is perfect or knows everything so the more opinions and ideas the merrier.

Cheers!

Are you sure the updated v2 keys patch is correct?

I keep getting the following:

=====================================================================
== C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe
== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" -mod=@DayZ_Sahrani -nosplash -nopause -window
Exe timestamp: 2013/02/07 13:24:01
Current time: 2013/02/07 13:25:43

Version 1.62.101480
Missing addons detected:
oac_core
dayz_code
dayz_weapons
dayz_equip
dayz_vehicles

The 'PepinKr Mirror: link' is painfully slow (trying download the whole lot again) :(

Are you sure the updated v2 keys patch is correct?

I keep getting the following:

== C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe
== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" -mod=@DayZ_Sahrani -nosplash -nopause -window
Exe timestamp: 2013/02/07 13:24:01
Current time: 2013/02/07 13:25:43

Version 1.62.101480
Missing addons detected:
oac_core
dayz_code
dayz_weapons
dayz_equip
dayz_vehicles

The 'PepinKr Mirror: link' is painfully slow :(

Should be fine I tested it a couple of times on my test server before releasing them. Make sure they are signed for dayzsarav2 and v2caa1. If not they are v1 sigs.

I got it going (will share a bit later when back on my gaming PC).

I really like the map.

Love the really high mountain and paths.

Also some of the new building types.

It also has a great feel to the map. I do love the more green maps and never been to much of fan of desert maps, so it was right up my street.

Only pointers I would make (just pointers for you to take or leave):

The spawns are a little far out. Perhaps not if you know them already, but new players can turn and go the 'wrong' way and end up running for quite a long time (which is what I did). I find its always best to give the player at least a small settlement in view at each spawn.

I spawned with a red tempature and the heatpack did nothing. This might be the 175 code, I don't know.

I love the mountain paths and had fun going up, but I would place something up there. Just the odd hut / log cabin with some loot spawns to give some reason for players to go up there. Perhaps some of the barrels that you can light would be a nice addition as you should be able to see them from far away.

As stapo said, the percentage of buildings that are enterable seemed low, but maybe its to early for me to say as I have not explored the whole map.

Look foward to seeing how this comes on. I can see this being one of my faves.

Only pointers I would make (just pointers for you to take or leave):

The spawns are a little far out. Perhaps not if you know them already, but new players can turn and go the 'wrong' way and end up running for quite a long time (which is what I did). I find its always best to give the player at least a small settlement in view at each spawn.

I love the mountain paths and had fun going up, but I would place something up there. Just the odd hut / log cabin with some loot spawns to give some reason for players to go up there. Perhaps some of the barrels that you can light would be a nice addition as you should be able to see them from far away.

As stapo said, the percentage of buildings that are enterable seemed low, but maybe its to early for me to say as I have not explored the whole map.

Look foward to seeing how this comes on. I can see this being one of my faves.

Alot of the stuff you mentioned is being worked on. We are working on making the map more "interesting" and might be adding a couple features to the game depending on how fast we get things completed. I am looking forward to seeing the final product of v0.2 myself.

A little something I am working on:
arma2oa_2013-02-07_15-44-51-89.jpg

I got it going (will share a bit later when back on my gaming PC).
Would you be kind enough to share when you get time please Shinkicker, I also have the same error when setting up my Sahrani server.
2zgw0gz.jpg

yeah shermanftw, care to elaborate on what mod need to be present? the files you sent me had it launching
@DayZ_Sahrani;Caa1 and the server? but yet people tell me that the caa1 pbos are in the @DayZ_Sahrani folder...

Some first Impression / Look after we had a go at Sahrani :)
For all the people who want to check it out before they download the 1.4 GB archive.

Enjoy the video (Constructive feedback is always nice!)

yeah shermanftw, care to elaborate on what mod need to be present? the files you sent me had it launching
@DayZ_Sahrani;Caa1 and the server? but yet people tell me that the caa1 pbos are in the @DayZ_Sahrani folder...

You do not need Caa1 as @Dayz_Sahrani includes it in the download (reason for the 1gb download). Normal Caa1 will not work anymore since I replaced the keys for it. We will also be editing the caa1 files a little and there were files that we not necessary to the port so I removed them, that is why I decided to package them together.

Some first Impression / Look after we had a go at Sahrani :)
For all the people who want to check it out before they download the 1.4 GB archive.

Enjoy the video (Constructive feedback is always nice!)

Thanks for the video.

We will look into what was mentioned in the video and see if some of it can be in place for version 0.2

Back