Dayz Sahrani - Mod Development - Work In Progress

A video showing the differences between Caa1 Sahrani and our project smd_sahrani_a2. Some of these tweaks or fixes have already been put into place on our DayZ mod, but the ground textures, total map control, several buildings, and structures are all new... Enjoy:

4am, thursday... Many of our previous cfgTownGenerator building additions are no longer needed thanks to all the hardwork from M1lkm8n on finishing up so many buildings and getting the map all squared away.

I've finished clearing out the ones that are not needed and have noted where some future changes need to be made to the map.

It would appear this release will again be up to me, so we'll see. So far it's looking ok, I've shifted a lot of stuff into our smd_assets folder, but due to a lot of our models being used on the official mod, and now included in the dayz community assets I will have to do quite a bit of reconfiguring, and additions to the loot table.

If I can get it done by the weekend wonderful. If not the pace will slow to a crawl and or stop completely. I can not keep focusing on this, especially if I am the only one actively working on the mod.

Just trying to chisel away at all the changes at this point. Gotten all the zombie and player skins working in the new pbo, i/o buried in dayz code.

Will try to iron out all the weapon config conflicts, and item/magazine conflicts today/tomorrow..

I am fairly sure I got ALL the buildings the needed to be removed commented out so should be good in that regard for a play test...

I just have to get some loot into the new buildings (there are LOTS) problem is I'm also waiting on a fresh build of the map from M1lkm8n, and that renames some buildings, so I can't do the loot till that's in.

I slept 1-2hrs last night and am going to do my best to stay up all day today working on it.

First I want to thank you for the extreme amount of effort you've applied to Sahrani thus far, it's amazing groundbreaking work. As you've stated before, you seem to be the only one working on the mod atm, and so there's absolutely no pressure on our end, take your time... it will definitely be worth the wait. If I'm able to help I'll be more than happy to volunteer my services, just point me in the right direction, and I'll see what I can do. I'm very interested in your ARMA University project, I'll head on over to that thread and see what needs to be done.

Well, ups and downs.... got some stuff fixed, am closer to a final test/release build but still not as far along as I'd like...

Spoke with Seven tonight! Very nice talking with him, he enjoyed his vacation and is getting settled back into his schedule...

Still not sure on how much time and when he'll have but great news none the less!

Should have all these little issues sorted out by tomorrow or sunday latest... give anyone who is in the google group a test run. Then we'll release... the updated map is gorgeous and FULL of new buildings.

Yay, little issues sorted out... I moved our custom objects out of DayZ folders and into our smd_assets package so we have continuity between Arma 2 and DayZ...

M1lkm8n is cranking away at the building placements (hand placed opened buildings so ground does not pop through the floor on any of our custom buildings, BI got lazy about placing un-enterable houses since no one was ever going to look inside ;-) )

I have to trace down some errors which may end up easy may not. I also kind of want to repackage all the assets we use from other authors since we have source access on those and don't want to distribute their whole package...

The process was almost done when we did our last release but I chickened out at the last minute and rolled back to the packaged builds, which is what actually caused all the config errors we through right now... that IMO is a terrible thing for a mod, because your average user will see one of those messages (or the timeout thing with ACR, and then just never try again).

Should have a test server up tonight, and then whatever I can get done by the time M1lkm8n passes me the "final" version of the map, we'll release both on the same day or within a day or two of each other... Same map for A2 and DayZ......

DayZ will still have our previous building additions as well as quite a few new ones... MAYBE a big surprise or two too..

All items now working, propane tank not so much.

All Vilas weapon ranging normalized to 400/600/800

Will work on it more tomorrow was out most of the day today.

Getting a lot of stuff sorted out. Should have a pretty nice package here in a little while. Gotta finish adding some of the new stuff from 1.8, and then iron out the last few errors/bugs.

Have gotten the machete, and all bats in and working, dropping the baseball bat basically kicks your ass though... due to model errors, that I don't really want to/have the right to fix. So... don't drop the bats lol.

Really got a LOT done tonight...

- All melee weapons from 1.8 are in (except fishing pole, not going to add that)
- All crafting/junk loot from 1.8 is in (except string, rags, wipes, and a few other things that are not really needed yet)
- All armed vehicles spawn with no ammo, this was planned for the last release but we had left Mi17 one of the UH's and RHIB's spawning with ammo
- Bunches of stringtable errors/double entries fixed
- Couple config errors fixed

M1lkm8n finished up the latest build of the map, it's got all the building renames so I can start doing the loot positions for the new ones....

Rahmadi as just a quick example has gone from zero enterable buildings by default, to only 2 or 3 that are not enterable now...

Corazol, Paraiso, Bagango, all the cities and towns are teaming with open buildings now. There are really only a few large buildings left that need to be done. M1lkm8n is killing it on the buildings too they all have nice features, and are very robust...

I would like to add knockout in a couple ways, and also want to allow looting of players of zombies no matter what.

But I think these will have to wait... still on the to-do list for this release is:

1. Add loot positions to the new buildings and update some more older buildings with new loot positions
2. Remove last config errors
3. Fix some last color issues on the UI/HUD if I can
- Heli Crash Notifications should be in black/white not brown/white/red/yellow etc...
- Text Select Bar should either be grey or white with black text so it's clear what you are selecting
- MAYBE add a bit thicker of a black border to the white HUD icons, they get lost in the sky and with blood loss, which I sort of like, it emulates your players loss of senses.
4. MAYBE add knockout
5. MIGHT enable power by default and also might add ignitable wrecks to encourage night play

If you're burning out, by all means pass the torch.. This project has benefited much from your passion for the game, but if you can't afford to eat because of it then your priorities will have to change, else the project will stagnate and die on it's own. I notice very little appreciation in this forum for all your hard work, but gratis doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table. Many people work on open source and gaming projects to build the knowledge necessary for a paying position somewhere, hopefully there will be a need for your skills somewhere...

I've been not working due to a medical issue that is resolving itself finally, my current field pays a lot better than a job in gaming would I think, and my role in a gaming co, would be a hard thing to "sell" to most co's without some previous work experience etc.

The project won't ever "die", I'm too in love with this game/mod to allow that,. The core of our work is just going to be more about the map, the buildings, and the assets then it is about the DayZ project for now... the work is more appreciated there and can be used by any/all in any A2 mod or mission...

Our goal for the Map in terms of DayZ can't be met by anyone else since BI don't normally permit more than one group to work on a map (if they even share source for one)... M1lkm8n won't ever stop fixing and tweaking the map, and there are enough "to do" mechanics, models and map changes on the Github issue list that 2-3 people could work on it full time for a couple more months w/o my intervention before I'd even have a reason to plan more.

Just seems pointless to keep spending all this time putting our mod on the newer version of the map when no one really gives a shit... I'd rather just go dark for a while, build up a lot of the stuff we have had planned forever and just dump it all out at once... course that didn't go so hot this last time...

Who knows, I'm def done with making this the leading force in my life though...

Fair enough. While it's true a lot of DayZ interest has waned in lieu of the Standalone alpha release, the mod is still favored by a lot of hardcore players who will likely continue playing it even after the Standalone is released... Speaking of the Github, I only saw the public one, which had no content.. It seems the 2-3 people you mentioned are the only one's with access and ability to improve it. Don't underestimate the community, if you feel the need to step away open it up for others to contribute as well.

I give a shit. I appreciate all the work you have put into this. Point me in a direction to help and I will. Teaching myself as I go, but I am always up for a challenge. Happy to hear that the medical issue is getting better.

Back