Discussion Thread

If ya'll heard rocket,
he has made a mention in a dev blog that he will not have any custom maps / mods due to the fact that it can open up to hacking again etc due to the fact that he would have to release the scripting commands for modders.

I doubt he will give us teh sKriptz, but we are opendayz, we WILL find a way around this, even if we have to jailbreak Dayz SA. It has happened before and if rocket doesn't open up to modding community then we will eventually find a way around his "blocks"

Just my opinion.

If ya'll heard rocket,
he has made a mention in a dev blog that he will not have any custom maps / mods due to the fact that it can open up to hacking again etc due to the fact that he would have to release the scripting commands for modders.

I doubt he will give us teh sKriptz, but we are opendayz, we WILL find a way around this, even if we have to jailbreak Dayz SA. It has happened before and if rocket doesn't open up to modding community then we will eventually find a way around his "blocks"

Just my opinion.

You say that but Rocket himself says this, in this thread about custom maps

I am also a big fan of, until we get the tools out there, approaching some of the big modding/mapmaker groups and working together to try and "fill the gap" until we can open it right out. A good example would be some user created maps ported/supported etc... by Bohemia.

Also the devs are locking the alpha down for perfectly understandable reasons I see no need to get butthurt over it.

Its a shame really, the most fun I have ever had with DayZ personally was tweaking it so much that it barely resembled DayZ anymore, but it was necessary for it to start as DayZ to have that underlying persistent survival world that everyone loves. That is because I really really like to have a lot of content available to me, and that is what has happened here on Opendayz. Basically, what he is telling us is that we cannot have an Opendayz when it comes to the standalone. While I will probably still buy the standalone because you know that EVERYONE who has played DayZ at some point will buy it due to a swift case of nostalgia at the least, I will probably not enjoy its slow "realistic" pace. I seriously hope you reconsider allowing modifications to the SA or you will soon see your playerbase move to the more interesting versions that this community will probably create at some point for Arma 3.

If ya'll heard rocket,

Just my opinion.

if you agree with this guy.... your gunna have a bad time.

I'm actually happy with it being locked to modding, private hive thing we only ever did due to the speed issues so if they've fixed that all up then I am a happy chappy, less mods = less work for me ;) and in theory should mean better security.

Can't wait to run a DayZ standalone instance, but hopefully they allow you to run them on your own dedicated boxes, and not require you to go through a third party, been there twice and it was rubbish, plus we have a bunch of our own servers in a DC sitting in LA.

Does anyone else really not like the way it looks? I just don't dig it :(

much as I hate to down SA.. I totally agree with you Rossymond...maybe we are just old git's that don't like change.. but I really can't bring myself to liking the new interface...helmets..OMG why would you.. I 'm damned sure NO ONE would run about the real chernarus in a bike helmet!...it will all come out in the wash.. for now totally prepared to let rocket and the guyz work on it as is.. the players will soon tell them what they do and don't like... let them get on with it I say.. but currently I don't see it being a working /playable option to a well modded dayz server for 6 months + as yet.. sadly!

You guys cant see the whole picture here.

I read a LOT of groups, and people, and I can tell you, the TRUE reason that they no want mods, is not "hacking" (lol) is because they dont like private hives. Yes they agreed that private hives keep dayz alive and all that jazz, but also private hives took over dayz, and they wanna control it. They wanna control what "private hive" is, and who will host it. There are people pushing rocket to made SA in a way that you cant mod it, no only from a technical perspective but a legal one (yes). They cry about how dayz is now pay2win, the bloodbags, loadouts, the weapons, the lots of vehicles admins spawn, donations to keep ther servers alive, etc and all what they consider survival heresy.
You guys need start push rocket and stop just kissing his ass, you will find soon enough you cant host dayz if you not own a valid hosting business. Ask him, if anyone, no metter who, will be able to host a private server of SA without any limitations. You will be :O Mark my words. Flame me if you want, but when it happens, you cant cry about it because you did NATHING to stop it.

Cool story. Now name one game that has successfully stopped any form of modification of their files being possible. You can't because that's impossible. Private hives have no legitimate purpose for as long as hacking is not a giant issue. That doesn't mean someone won't figure out how to set one up just as they did with the mod, but it does hopefully mean it will be segregated somehow from the other servers.

Maybe they'll checksum pbo files or something and stop servers showing up in the "official" server browser if the pbos are modified. That in itself is a good thing. A new person coming into dayz right now would get a totally false impression of what the intended game is about if they joined servers based on the number of people playing in them. You are retarded if you think the whole thing is some scam so you can only rent a server from one place. It's about making sure everyone plays the game the way its intended to be instead of giving feedback to the devs which is influenced by a server admin who wants to spawn everyone with an as50 and charge them to have a helicopter spawn.

.... It's about making sure everyone plays the game the way its intended to be instead of giving feedback to the devs which is influenced by a server admin who wants to spawn everyone with an as50 and charge them to have a helicopter spawn.

exaclty my point! thank u!

because most of the private hive admins give as50 to anyone who wants it.... and only some touched by GOD people had the right (and unique) perpective of what dayz is supose to be... and if we not agreed with it, we are "retarded", and other despective things...

the true, what u call the "way is supose to be" is boring and most of the people dont like it (tested, check right now dayz) and the true is, if there was SA offical servers and private hives with cars, weapons and sh1t, most of the people will go directly to private hives, because most of the people dont like running around with a helmet in his head for hours with a stick in his hand and call that a game, like most of the poeple hated when dayz was a BLACK screen in first person.... remember that times? thanks god for private hives , thats the only reason why dayz still alive.

exaclty my point! thank u!

because most of the private hive admins give as50 to anyone who wants it.... and only some touched by GOD people had the right (and unique) perpective of what dayz is supose to be... and if we not agreed with it, we are "retarded", and other despective things...

the true, what u call the "way is supose to be" is boring and most of the people dont like it (tested, check right now dayz) and the true is, if there was SA offical servers and private hives with cars, weapons and sh1t, most of the people will go directly to private hives, because most of the people dont like running around with a helmet in his head for hours with a stick in his hand and call that a game, like most of the poeple hated when dayz was a BLACK screen in first person.... remember these dayz? thanks god for private hives , thats the only reason why dayz still alive.

I fail to see your point, as I've already said if you want to make a server where players can spawn with an as50 you'll still be able to. Provided:

a) You are smart enough
b) You don't mind it not showing up in the regular server list in game. Maybe that means you write your own server browser or launcher for all modded servers. Maybe you use a startup parameter who knows.

The point is I don't see your modified server when I go to play the beta unless I actively do something to show it. It's impossible to stop the game from being able to be modded, but it is possible to segregate those modded servers. Which is exactly the way it should be when alpha/beta testing the game.

If my aim is as nefarious as suggested, then why would I want to keep paying the huge expense for a public hive anyway? Private hives cost us nothing.

Couple of points to throw in:
  • The engine is designed from a modular standpoint. Even how we make the game is essentially the same as modding it.
  • The two biggest aims for the DayZ SA alpha were Multiplayer Performance and Multiplayer Stability. Without those fundamentals, I don't believe any standalone project would bring anything more than those modding DayZ have already come up with.

The "way it is supposed to be" is why DayZ became popular in the first place. Modifications are popular now because of lack of endgame content. The mod has been out a long time and most players have already seen or done everything in the original.

I see no reason for anyone to expect that the SA developers try to support modding, especially in the beginning. Modding wasn't supported by Dean in the original DayZ, and people found a way to make mods anyway. It's modders' responsibility to figure out how to mod the game, not the developers'...

If you want SA to run on a private hive with all kinds of zany addons then figure out how to do it yourself through reverse engineering and disassembling (which is how HiveExt was born in the first place and why private hives exist now), the same way people mod other games, but don't expect support for it from the original developers.

As far as the Public Hive and hosting, as long as the approval process for whitelisting isn't again dependent on a team of unpaid volunteers and everyone is entitled to host servers (or if Bohemia pays to host their own official servers), then I don't see a problem with it.

If my aim is as nefarious as suggested, then why would I want to keep paying the huge expense for a public hive anyway? Private hives cost us nothing.

Couple of points to throw in:
  • The engine is designed from a modular standpoint. Even how we make the game is essentially the same as modding it.
  • The two biggest aims for the DayZ SA alpha were Multiplayer Performance and Multiplayer Stability. Without those fundamentals, I don't believe any standalone project would bring anything more than those modding DayZ have already come up with.

I saw bush lurker talking about visitor 4 over on the BI forums. It looks really nice and resembles something that would look at home outside of Windows 95 ;)

These tools (a new O2 as well) will likely birth a plethora of new maps and models, not only now from just the arma milsim community, but also also from the now newer DayZ community.

One thing which DayZ has created is a ton of new people who now know SQF and the process of getting a model into the P3d format and wrapping it in a config and bringing into game. We even have a few brave souls even venturing into map making. I often find now when searching on how to fix / do something, it always used to be forums.bistudio.com or an old ofp site coming up in Google, but instead this site is now offering up the main results. So there is a lot of latent talent in here that could be harnessed in some pretty smart ways.

Would be a shame to not have some sort of avenue for them to continue to contribute (in much the same way as happens with the dayz-community addons in the main mod). I expect you guys already have this parked for consideration, and ofc you want to get your key milestone achieved first (release).

Steam workshop seems like the obvious candidate, but you somehow need to sandbox objects so as not compromise on security. Its a challenge, but could be something very exciting if done the right way.

Be interested to see what happens. If you ever want to chat about it down the line, do let me know.

What we have here IMO is "a little from column a, a little from column b"....

1. Anyone attempting to usurp SA's decision on remaining open or not is likely going to be met with the blunt end of a lawyer.

2. I think there are various reasons that BI/Rocket don't want modding at first, and I think, that what I, or any of you think.... does not mean 2 shits.... Seriously... I love the sound of my own voice as much as the next guy, and I feel like I should have been born with a million dollars and Rocket should do w'ever I say lol.... Thing is... it's HIS FUCKING GAME.... leave him the fuck alone. If he feels like it's time to allow others to work with it then he will... until then STFU.
3. People act like Private hive and modding have offered some sort of huge improvement over the original mod... Well... I as the head of a dev team that's done TONS to bring new assets, buildings, mechanics, skins, weapons, etc etc etc to the game have to say... literally NO ONE in DayZ modding has done even ONE THING that was special... seriously...

The fact that people think private hives are better than public speaks to how immature and shitty the audience is, not to how poor the original game is.... legic Public hive play with other people playing legit and with the same goal of Character SURVIVAL... have a MUCH MUCH better experience and game to play than any mod or server customization...

Honestly, as robust of plans we had on Sahrani, we fell well short on basically everything on the coding end... we did little bitty patch jobs and modifications to the original (jaw droppingly robust and complicated) mod...

The only thing that's (imo) hugely impressive is the terrain/building models/animation work that M1lkm8n does/is doing... Graf did some great scripts, Seven MADE the mod head to toe, and it is a really good mod, and we were headed in a great direction, but we didn't even get to the 1.0 marker IMO.. and 2.0 was going to be our "finished" mod...

The most highly originally developed mod is Origins, (Epoch had done a lot too) and no offense to either of those groups.... but they are literally shit sandwiches compared to original Public Hive DayZ. Both those mods have countless additions that are just NOT in sync with DayZ and what it should be...

They have lots of "stuff" to keep ADD folks distracted enough to be focused for a couple hrs...

The best most appropriate mod ever done was 2017 IMO, Namalsk, and i44 were also cool, but again all 3 are utilizing huge libraries of pre-created content... I don't feel like a lot of DayZ mods (if any) contribute in a large way to the community in general.

The only thing that makes the most popular mod "The Best" these days is the fact that there are always full servers... but again... if you were playing DayZ, full servers wouldn't be what you wanted or were looking for... empty? no... but full? no... that's for PVP which is not what DayZ is about.
I'm struggling to keep motivated to continue with this "scene" at all, it's so draining, and so the only reward seems to be either silence, or endless shit from needy players who think they are your "customer"...
To say opening up SA to modders (especially 99pct of DayZ modders) is a good idea, is like saying Picasso should have let some chimps from the local zoo that painted help him out.

Mod for Arma 2 or 3, get better at it, do more, make things, stop stealing.... Fuck.

Nonov, I noted you do this quite a lot. You list your achievements, drop a mention of how you lead a team and then launch into a vitriolic attack on the community. What gives mate?

> I'm struggling to keep motivated to continue with this "scene" at all, it's so draining, and so the only reward seems to be either silence, or endless shit from needy players who think they are your "customer"...

I would honestly give it a break then. Somehow this is not giving you what you want or feel you should be getting. Its only a video game at the end of the day. You should do this as you enjoy it, as if its for recognition then it might not ever meet whatever your expectations are.

That's not the intention.

I was including DayZ Sahrani in a lack of original or ground-breaking content.

No mod has fundamentally rebuilt or added to the mod in an earthshaking way.

The scope of the DayZ mod is staggering, and no external mod (imo and including (or even especially?) dayz sahrani) has not contributed anything major to the DayZ genre of games... It's not meant to be insulting to anyone who worked on Sahrani or any other mod, it's meant to put in perspective how much unique and amazing work is in DayZ.

I on some level do have a superiority complex about how we did things, but it's regards only to respect for other author's rights, and permissions... and I've always included the caveat that no DayZ mod (until recent system was put in place) was "approved"...

I am also I suppose on some level always attempting to "stir the shit" in order to move the conversation along faster than it might under more polite circumstance.

I never intend to come off like I do, I respect all the mods and the modding community a lot more than I make clear...

Most of vitriol is more about the player base not the modding community...

I'm just saying that in terms of Standalone, I makes me sick that people are already trying to Ethug their way into modding SA with much less without Dean Hall/BI's approval.

Wasn't trying to slight anyone who's worked on mods at all.

I've always (and still do) only want the Arma 2 modding community to grow, and for there to be more things and places for people to play in Arma and it's sequels.... Big Fan... so not worried/won't ever be worried about thanks or praise.

That's not the intention.

I've always (and still do) only want the Arma 2 modding community to grow, and for there to be more things and places for people to play in Arma and it's sequels.... Big Fan... so not worried/won't ever be worried about thanks or praise.

Fair dues, and I can't fault that. Thanks for the reply, it was a lot more eloquent and becoming then your previous penning ;)

I do also agree. Funny enough I have the shoe on the other foot now. We are working on a mod which is 100% are own content, everything from the code, to the models - the whole lot. I don't know how I will feel when others invariably want to mod our mod, a little protective if truth be known.

Mind you one thing about this place is its assumed by some that the open of 'open'day.net means open source. That's not what its about. We started the place as there were a few of us on tunngle.net and a certain hosting company was trying to corner the whole mod'ing scene. So we decided that it would be better to join up and start this place up, so we could at least have a place open to anyone who wanted a private hive or a map port. Shortly after that Mr Hall handed the reigns over to Carl and the other guys (not saying the events were connected, just coinciding).

I will have to dig the tunngle thread up for where it all started.

Lol, look at what has come across from /r/DayZ...

Is this the right place for suggestions? I think there should be a Yogi Bear skin in the standalone :D

/r/dayz ... strange fruit is that place. They hate each other, even when they agree.

Argue.gif

no... that's for PVP which is not what DayZ is about.

LOL! 99% of players at this present time would disagree....

The good old days....when people played TOGETHER to survive and not AGAINST each other...I miss those days....

...Wait...I run a strict PvE/teamwork/Co-Op server, so I guess I'm really trying to keep the original game play concept alive...

Regardless, I've enjoyed reading this thread so far and have heard the opinions from you guys. I think we are all on the cusp of what DayZ has been turned into and what the player base looks for in a server. The mods of the original mod are just what someone else described as, "People creating their own version of Rocket's vision." I'm all about features, keeping an active player community, adding, building, listening to new ideas, creating a better product as the time goes on.

I'm not sure about how I feel about the SA. When I first started playing DayZ it was just the original Official Hive DayZ. For me, it got boring very fast. AK's....AK's everywhere...the same guns, nothing new. Same locations, same buildings, same cars. I like to think of myself as a human and not a dog. Dogs eat the same shit for years, because they are a dog and don't know any better. After about 4 weeks I began to feel like a dog, same shit, different day.

There are going to be many keys for success with the SA and everyone and their mother will have an opinion about how the success will be achieved.

In my opinion keys to success are:
  1. Server Security
  2. Server/Gameplay stability
  3. Functionality of the game
  4. Features in game
  5. In-game options for players/characters
  6. The ability to continually develop the product toward some never ending goal to avoid the end of the tunnel. This can be acheived with addons/DLC's and updates.
I, myself, like being able to bloodbag others, but in the field, it's not possible. Maybe have a piece of equipment at the hospitals that require parts to fix it or power to use a blood transfusion machine. To get technical, if my blood level was down to 10,000 from 12,000, over time, my heart and body would reproduce blood to replace what was lost. This is how the game should be. There are features and implementations that can be done to further help the current things that push players away.

For me it is the zombies. I have AI on my server because the zombies are so far fetched and they act nothing like a zombie. Breaking your legs with 1 hit, knocking you down while being 5 meters away...it's a lot of the simple/small stuff that needs fixed.

Zombies...Zombies run around like they are professional soccer players and sprinters. Have you ever seen The Walking Dead? Of course you have. Those are zombies. Those are the zombies that are the basis for Zombie Lore.

I'm not meaning to rant, but there are obviously other fixes that need to be done besides also.

IMHO, this is the type of venture that Bethesda, Ubisoft, and DICE should be working on. Elder Scrolls online....what if it was DayZ made by Bethesda or Zenimax Studios....but it's not. The epic proportions of DayZ almost seems to be too much for Rocket and his team to achieve on their own. I have a feeling that no matter what, there will be more disappoointed fans that happy ones. Like someone else mentioned, within 6 months, a lot of people will give it up if new toys or features aren't introduced.

Guess I just wanted to share what I think.

In conclusion...I do want to thank everyone in this community who have contributed to what we have today. Thank you to Rocket for his original idea and the ability to put that into code for us all to enjoy.

Rocket, DayZ Dev team, Opendayz contributors, everyone, keep up the good work, because in the end/end of the day, I am grateful for it. Thanks.

Back