SurvivalServers Making Money off OpenDayZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be raking it in Retra, owing a hosting company, and especially with all this freetime to develop scripts and go back to do school exams as well...
Impressive time management skills mate

This is an incredibly scumbag move on more than one level. For one, the prices are just outrageous - $10-20 for a few minutes' worth of editing and copy-pasting files based on instructions already provided by the mod creators? I know there are many helpful people on these forums who are more than willing to help people install mods for nothing.

The most scumbag part of all this is using the work of the Opendayz modding community for profit then refusing to offer support for issues relating to the mods, essentially forcing users to turn to the Opendayz community for support. This is like someone breaking into your house and forcing you to pay rent for living in a house you already own, but expecting you to foot the bill when your roof starts leaking.

What SurvivalServers should do is reduce the cost of installing each mod to a small token fee (or better yet, scrap it altogether), and charge a certain amount for support for any issues that come up. By support I don't mean simple guidance and advice, but actually putting in effort and fixing the problem themselves.

What SurvivalServers should do is reduce the cost of installing each mod to a small token fee (or better yet, scrap it altogether), and charge a certain amount for support for any issues that come up. By support I don't mean simple guidance and advice, but actually putting in effort and fixing the problem themselves.

I couldn't agree more, like I know Vilayer do or did do this with an automated service for the standard dayz.

DayzMod forums have deleted my thread the OP was nothing different to the OP here.

Regardless of your opinions on this matter I am perfectly within my rights to speak out against it if I do not agree with it. As an ex customer of the host I am perfectly entitled to review their services too. Pretty shocked by the move to delete the thread and I think another one should be created. We should be able to publicly voice our opinion if we are against this.

edit: Ok they merged it instead of deleting it, no idea why though - http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?...-free-survivalserverscom/page-87#entry1512812

I wasted a fortune getting scripts installed by hiring people. There was no service to do this, so I am in the process of designing a plan to build a hosting company. We will offer game servers with custom scripts, but also support. There will be a certain amount of time given and a certain fee, for setup of various services/scripts. There will be a fee for tech support related to said scripts as well. The difference is we will not be offering service to the public. It will be an application/invite only type of service for admins who can demonstrate good values, and an ability to work maturely both with us, and their own players. Additionally they will have to be able to afford our services and not be a high school kid sweating a few dollars to utilize our scripter's time. Im doing this because I have suffered to get this kind of service, and clearly see the demand that is not being filled. There are just not enough good scripters for hire. I think i can help mine make a good income. But this will be treated seriously, and won't be free. Nobody can afford to give time away for free beyond a certain point. If doing this works well and we can gain some happy customers and help improve the quality of servers out there then its a win for everyone. I agree with scripting services for hire, but it should be done right.

I wasted a fortune getting scripts installed by hiring people. There was no service to do this, so I am in the process of designing a plan to build a hosting company. We will offer game servers with custom scripts, but also support. There will be a certain amount of time given and a certain fee, for setup of various services/scripts. There will be a fee for tech support related to said scripts as well. The difference is we will not be offering service to the public. It will be an application/invite only type of service for admins who can demonstrate good values, and an ability to work maturely both with us, and their own players. Additionally they will have to be able to afford our services and not be a high school kid sweating a few dollars to utilize our scripter's time. Im doing this because I have suffered to get this kind of service, and clearly see the demand that is not being filled. There are just not enough good scripters for hire. I think i can help mine make a good income. But this will be treated seriously, and won't be free. Nobody can afford to give time away for free beyond a certain point. If doing this works well and we can gain some happy customers and help improve the quality of servers out there then its a win for everyone. I agree with scripting services for hire, but it should be done right.

whats wrong with Highschoolers :c?

I'd like to give credit to all of the mod developers that have contributed to the dayz community. Your work has allowed DayZ to evolve into many different forms and adds fun and interesting changes to DayZ gameplay.

There is a few mod developers who have been unhappy with the way we offer mod installation.
The issue we face is the time required to install these mods is more than what most people realize. A lot of people are claiming that we should have a standard set of files that we can just upload to different servers with a few clicks, but that is truly not how this works at all.

Please consider the following: We have 28 mod installs listed on our website between $10-20 each (install). There are a lot of combinations of mods applied to a lot of combinations of maps. With a little bit of algebra, using the combinations formula, anyone can calculate that having 28 different items will give over 7,000 different unique results. That means there is over 7,000 different combinations of mods that could be installed. They can order mod A, X, V and another customer could order mod E, Y, P and another could order T, Y, W, Q, B. That is over 7,000 combinations of server files. This is for a single map only (Epoch Chernarus for example).

Now multiply that by the number of maps we offer (Epoch, Chernarus, Overwatch) and it's even higher. It's not as easy as copy pasting, there are a lot of caveats. Installation takes time. There is simply no perfect way to fully automate this without a complex algorithm to modify server files with all of the caveats considered.

We ONLY charge for the time required to install these mods.
If you do not see credits for your specific mod listed on our website, please email us at [email protected] and we will include credit lines.
We are open to ideas. If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back