SurvivalServers Making Money off OpenDayZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaweeduk

OpenDayZ Rockstar!
Survival Servers have always been a shady company I first dealt with them more than a year ago now. More on that later though. In the past SS have shown they obviously don't care about ethics or morals and only about making money. Back in May the Origins files were leaked and shortly after SS started sending out mails offering hosting on those leaked files - http://pbrd.co/17JvTSD

In the end the Origins guys DDOS'd SS in order to stop them making money from trying to host their mod. Presumably because they found talking to them not to be effective but who knows with Origins.http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1ecfve/criminal_actions_of_dayz_origins_developers/

Now Origins is a mod designed to make money and I won't defend their actions but SS were certainly wrong to be trying to make money hosting with their files. Whats far more alarming is what they have recently started doing...
Myself and many others over at opendayz.net write small server modifications which we share with the community. I'm sure many of you will have come across these countless times in the past on various servers. Scripts that let you do things like eat people, self blood bag, remove vehicle parts etc. We share our work to help others learn before I wrote my own mods I learned from the work others had shared on opendayz. We do not however share it so people can use it for profit.
SS have started selling the installation of these simple scripts onto servers -http://www.survivalservers.com/cart.php?gid=24

Now for one thing the installation of all these mods is trivial, and detailed fully in their original threads. Secondly my modifications and many other peoples state that they cannot be taken and used for profit -
http://opendayz.net/threads/random-clothing-parcels.12217/

Yet SS have them listed on their "modding service" page. This is completely unauthorized. It is disgusting that SS are trying to make money from "installation" of something so trivial. In my experience with the company I doubt they will even do a decent job of it either.

I actually hosted a server with SS over a year ago now. The server itself was terrible, it was only even accessible for 20 days out of the 31 I paid for I wrote some details last year on the dayz mod forums about that. I dealt with a few hosts before switching to dedicated hosting and doing the job myself. SS were certainly the worst company I dealt with in that time.

SS also stole the work of Hangender and Infistar, who made an excellent server side antihack script, which SS also sell (without permission). It is not their work and AFAIK they have no permission from the authors to be selling it.

I wanted to make this thread not only to highlight the extremely underhand and immoral tactics they are employing to try to make money. But also to warn anyone thinking of hosting a server with their company to avoid them at all costs. There are lots of alternative hosts to SS for DayZ and all of them offer a better service.

SS use the crappy TCAdmin package for managing their servers. This is a generic package (surprise surprise not coded by them) which doesn't work properly or allow you to do many simple dayz server management tasks. Their hosting is lacking in many areas (including performance) compared to the other hosts. DayZ.st for example have a wealth of in house coded web-based tools to make server management easier. If you are considering hosting a dayz server and you aren't confident enough to be doing it on a dedicated box DO NOT chose to host with SS. If you have had similar bad experiences with SS please share them here.

I am all about free stuff for the public to use. but the hard work of scripters should not be stolen from them. they need to be stopped.

just remember to add this to all releases you have put out.
Terms & Conditions - When you download or copy this code you agree to not charge any money for installing this script.​

I must admit, I don't put any code out there, but am more than willing to help others learn what I've learned from you guys, I mean, it's pay-it-forward...
And give credit where it's due....
Not charge someone to put someone else's work onto they're server...
And especially without following up on that after an update

What I do is try to nudge people in the right direction, or point them at the right link/post about they're issue...

The guys here at OPENDAYZ.NET and DAYZ EPOCH forms have opened my eyes to a whole new level of learning that I hadn't even considered 4mths ago.

I must admit, I don't put any code out there, but am more than willing to help others learn what I've learned from you guys, I mean, it's pay-it-forward...
And give credit where it's due....
Not charge someone to put someone else's work onto they're server...
And especially without following up on that after an update

What I do is try to nudge people in the right direction, or point them at the right link/post about they're issue...

The guys here at OPENDAYZ.NET and DAYZ EPOCH forms have opened my eyes to a whole new level of learning that I hadn't even considered 4mths ago.

I learned everything i know from these sites, learning from other's knowlege of the game engine. It has given me the ability to create things that are super totally awesome. :D I am so glad websites like this exist, and it upsets me that people are cheating people out of things that are free without the creators permission.

I think what I find most alarming is that if you host with them, they tell you that any server with mods loaded is not supported unless you paid them to do it. Effectively you are paying for someone at SurvivalServers to read an OpenDayZ thread, one which would never have been made had the creator known they would be pulling crap like this. Then they will tell you that you need to pay them again any time a dayz patch is released!

OpenDayZ is an awesome place, as is all opensource software in general, all actions such as these do is harm that because it gives people far less incentive to bother sharing their work with others.

... i could say a lot about survivalsurvers, but tbh i dont feel like spending any more time and or money on those guys.

however i feel i need to say something, since this is possibly the worst service i have ever experienced!

ill just put it like this:
Not only is it most likely the worst "service" i ever experienced, they also have the most condescending "support" i have ever heard in my entire life ... i would have never in my wildest dreams expectet any company in the world to treat customers like this and yet still be in business.

WARNING TO NEW SURVIVALSERVER RENTERS:
A 50 man server will never hold 50 players, but it will be unplayable if more than 25 people enter!
dont be fooled by the way they advetise themself and their "antihack" everywhere (wich btw courses major lag if you install any mod you did not pay them to install).
They will never help you with any server relatet problems you may have have, if you have a "self managed server" whether they it was coursed by you or them, and even when problems are coursed by them, they will not tell you they coursed it even when you have hard evidence that it was their foult, even then they will still debate whether they coursed the problem or not and try to put the blame on you, since you have a "selfmanaged server" and should know what was wrong and how to run a server.
(even tho they know as well as you that there is stuff only they can change)

anyways ... that was already way too much time spend on these scumbags (again), so ill stop here or i could go on for days about how bad SS hosting is.

edit:
Terms & Conditions - When you download or copy this code you agree to not charge any money for installing this script.​
will this actually cover the legal terms if someone copied the code and sold it anyway?

btw @seaweeduk, sad but true:
i think i saw youre bury/gutting body scripts in theire repertoire, as in they are charging money to install these ... if i was you i would try to force them to take that down (if you can even do anything about it)

i have also deatl with survival servers the last few posts on that forum post above is myself arguing the case that nothing worked. they ofcourse blamed this on me even though i did not have access to said broken files. slow support times resulting in downtime i cancelled my month package after 2 weeks and demanded a refund but was denied one they then tried to fob me off with 2 "free" weeks of standalone hosting lol free? i already paid for the amount of time i was giving up by cancelling can agree with OP that these guys are nothing but money grabbing thieving twats

There's no work being stolen here guys.. they have every right to install these mods on their customer's servers. If they charge money for an installation fee, so what? They can't allow their customers to use the mods you guys made unless you get compensated? I smell greed

There's no work being stolen here guys.. they have every right to install these mods on their customer's servers. If they charge money for an installation fee, so what? They can't allow their customers to use the mods you guys made unless you get compensated? I smell greed

none of us want to be compensated, we just don't want people making money off of our hard work.

person who can't install mods on their server wants to pay someone to do it.. big whoop. there's people out there that want cusotm mods that can't do it themselves you know :D

blur and infistar are business partners from what i understand if they have a mutual agreement then that is none of your business

edit: there is a clear difference between a MUTUAL business agreement and what is being explained here

yeah but a lot of different people contributed to that antihack... and they are selling it... survival servers doesn't sell the antihack whatsoever, and they credit the developers

so they will gladly take your money to follow a guide posted on here but take longer than 2 days to respond to tickets and dont spend time fixing actual server problems on their end think they need to get priorities right.. oh thats right they have.. taking more peoples money

charging people to install scripts on a server the person is already paying for is pretty dumb if you think about it, instead of charging people to install the scripts why don't you just post links to guides on how to install them. The customers is already paying for their server why should they have to pay extra to get scripts installed. Tbh i think everyone that host a server should learn how to install scripts on a server, you should know this if you're hosting a server otherwise you're just gonna get fucked over. If you can't successfully install a simple script off a tutorial for that script then you shouldn't be hosting a server, or maybe you should learn how to install the scripts before you put out money to host a server.

Server host could also offer the ability to have a script installed automatically so no user input is needed but selecting the script you want. This ofcourse would need some good control panel coders, if a host dosen't have people that know what they're doing with website coding then the host shouldn't even be offering services

It just comes down to having the smarts of hosting a server which is mostly common sense.

Charging to install a script each update is just a fucking rip off, when you're doing that, that shows you're just in it for the money.

Personally i would never host a game server from a hosting company due to many reasons, i'd rather pay the extra money to get a faster internet at home and host from my house that way i have more control over what i can do with my server.

I know quite a few home hosted server that are pretty succesfull not particulary just dayz but other games as well.

You have no limitations on what you can do and if you run in to a problem that you can't figure out a simple google search and i'm sure you will come across somthing.

I'm surprised that no one noticed it earlier since they've been doing this for quite some time.

Actually I don't think that they need this kind of attention. What they're doing is bullshit, no doubt about it.
But they proved so manny times (especially on the official DayZMod forums) that their service is crap. They took so much beating there that I almost feel sorry for them lol.
There all multiple topics about the level of their retardation, also proving that the ppl behind that company are totally random and don't know shit about DayZ, Arma, or even server hosting for that matter.

The only thing we can actually achive is somehow block company's like that to successfully sell slots for the upcoming Standalone version.
The official hive should be controlled PRIORITIZING this sorts of stuff, not how someone sets his vehicle spawn and shit like that.

That way we won't have to read topics like this one.

And to anyone that is still hosting their server/servers with SS...
- run!

Lol, apparently I own a hosting company and my first name is Nick.
We got threatened by this person so we banned them. Threats are not tolerable. CommanderRetra is the owner of a hosting company (I won't name which) that is selling licensed Bohemia code without permission from Bohemia (Anti-Hack). The Anti-Hack cannot be sold, no matter how much time and effort went into developing it. I am happy to donate to the development of such a great Anti-Hack, and I've offered Infistar many times. He denies because he will only settle for a per customer fee - which, as mentioned, is not allowed by Bohemia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back