Dayz Sahrani - Mod Development - Work In Progress

Not to mention it's the highest quality dayz derivative mod to date, they probably feel a little threatened this close to standalone release.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

While I obviously love your sentiment, the code end of it has gone to shit since Seven left, and really no mod has done anything significant or amazing to improve upon the original mod... Ours is a nice neat little splinter of the mod, but it's not the amazing ornate hand crafted wood-working masterpiece that DayZ is...

Even if all the plans I had laid out in Github were complete, it would still be more like adding nicer doorknobs and hardware to the amazing cabinet someone else built from the ground up.... maybe a secret compartment or two lol.

I'm sure it has more to do with my constant prodding and poking on the subject of rights....

Honestly this has been the goal from day one... I just want clarity as to whether the DayZ mod and it's parts are open for modding or not.....

It could also be as simple as the fact that the DayZ logo is a TM and our logo integrates and modifies it... that was something I initially expressed concern over when it was being made... but I'm fairly sure Yoshi ensured that he only used it unaltered in a layer? But I'm not even 100% sure of that.

Obv. the website also uses this logo and the DayZ name like anyone else, and hadn't included all the TM's and "property of BI" stuff I should have...

It was WIP and I was actually planning on adding the property of BI stuff... I'm surprised I was specifically requested to add the TM to the DayZ but ... w'ever...

It's his mod, and he can do w'ever he wants with it, and tell whoever he wants to stop or don't do this or that... it's fine.

I sent off all the stuff that was requested by the person they put in charge of it. So whenever they get a chance to reply we'll see.... or not, seems like a waste of anyone's time honestly... I don't care about the website being up or not. I was putting it up since someone had spent the time making it and I thought it was very well done... and I registered the Domain in the beginning of the year.... which I'm also happy to hand back to them... it's a DayZ domain and they have every right to it if they want it, or even if they want to avoid confusion.

and.... BOOOOOOoooom. I should send Rocket a thank you note... I was having serious problems getting motiated to finish this build... I had already discussed with M1lkm8n whether he minded if we never released the map on the DayZ mod... he was disappointed but ok with it...

Gave the last remaining problems another go and got through 95 percent of them... AND stumbled across a few big wins too!

magic reticule dot... gone. Nice simple Crosshair, fades and spreads apart to indicate fatigue and shakiness... it's AWESOME...

You can see the black background for the action menu along with the grey scroll bar, should put a TOTAL end to confusion on what you have selected... and I've Colored Light Fire to go with Ignite Storage:

GrtTTiOl.png

xqJdG1xl.png

Same Black Background and Grey Scrollbar for the Book and Inventory Crafting:

VhVMN9Al.png

99percent of hints show up beneath the gear menu, no more scrambling to see what you're missing:

dhN0Fc2l.png

Reticule Steady and Bright (same for ALL rifles/pistols/mgs):
MRAg9eRl.png

Reticule shaky after running :

5cavvkgl.png

I can get the little things left on the list done in 2-3 hrs. I have one (I think) last big goal that is a bit beyond me... I'm going to see if I can get someone to look at it for me...

I want to recolor the Debug monitors so they are default Black background instead of the brown one... it's was a total PITA, several people actually told me it was impossible... but with a little guidance I FINALLY found it...

it's in module_e\Functions\Hints there are several .sqf files in there... I kinda sorta know what to do but don't really know how to go about calling it? or replacing the default call with it? I don't know. I gotta get some stuff done for the official mod cuz I haven't in forever. Then I'm going to do the little things for Sahrani tonight, I'm going to idle in a few TS hoping someone who has some time to look at it hops on.

If anyone is feeling frisky I've pastebin'd the original:
http://pastebin.com/tSrkQZGj

and the new color scheme I want:
http://pastebin.com/ryydMeGU

FYI there are TONS of cool things that can be done with that silent hint system that no one in DayZ is doing... you can make custom icons, color it, change the font, use images etc etc etc etc... it's a REALLY cool system...

What I want ideally is for that and the OA fancy credits Cookiez/Allen of DayZ Horror had going. to be integrated into the mod... I really want power and lights too, but it's just not in the cards for this release... I can get them done for the next one I"m sure and Darce is plugging away too... so hopefully we can actually keep this hype hand cart rolling forward?

Sahrani Hype Train:

Oh I want to fix the SQL table and update it with the new vehicles too.... so hopefully it's all buttoned up for Sunday night? not sure though.

Well... I spent all my time this weekend configuring the official mod models that have been sitting... the modelling guys have really been cranking stuff out:

http://i.imgur.com/tFaLO3D.png

For Sahrani, Darce got sorted out with his test server setup, so hopefully he'll have some power or lighting stuff for us to slap in too... I haven't talked to M1lkm8n this weekend, so I'll touch base with him this week and figure it out...

Likely have a release in the next week or two?
I'm happy with where it is now. I will try to get this build UL'd to the G+ group and public test server. I don't know if anyone is even using that anymore or not? I haven't checked it myself in a while...

Build is getting to be really tight, so anything that gets added is just gravy at this point

Well... I spent all my time this weekend configuring the official mod models that have been sitting... the modelling guys have really been cranking stuff out:

http://i.imgur.com/tFaLO3D.png

For Sahrani, Darce got sorted out with his test server setup, so hopefully he'll have some power or lighting stuff for us to slap in too... I haven't talked to M1lkm8n this weekend, so I'll touch base with him this week and figure it out...

Likely have a release in the next week or two?
I'm happy with where it is now. I will try to get this build UL'd to the G+ group and public test server. I don't know if anyone is even using that anymore or not? I haven't checked it myself in a while...

Build is getting to be really tight, so anything that gets added is just gravy at this point
Just in curiosity have you considered moving to ArmA 3?

I'm waiting for at least 2 or 3 other mods to come out for A3 to do anything with it...

I've seen a couple more permission requests for A3, I asked ages ago directly to BI and they told me yes basically... but I also have the only website ever requested to be removed from what I know.

AiA is done by kju, who also did Caa1 and told us back when Zoombies first came out that we were more than welcome to do the same thing.... We "could" do that but honestly it's just not my style.

Our plan was always to build up the mod in A2, and eventually move it to A3 if that is something that would not offend or bother Rocket.

Keep in mind also that as a map centric team our focus for A3 is dependant on the release of the updated terrain tools which are likely to be last out...

My future focus is going to be moving our mod entirely out of the DayZ mod, and continuing with the portions of our plans I can... I have a few big mechanics that I can pull off myself... and Darce is working on some stuff as well... Winter usually brings more spare time from all so who knows, we might be back up to a decent number of devs again.

Without Seven or someone of his skill level our plans to move to A3 much less finish the mod in A2 are pretty much when/if/what I can... IE not much lol.

Honestly I like being not popular and wouldn't want the attention that an A3 port might draw... I can't offer support, there is basically no team left... and I'm fairly sure it would really bother Rocket... I don't think he wants to say no, but wants people to "get" that he doesn't want them done based on his refusal to answer?? I have no clue.

It's like deja vu all over again, again...

I think I've gotten all the last little bits buttoned? I still need to have M1lkm8n look at a few of the models that are throwing errors, I think they might have improperly configured materials/textures...

There are a few more things I want to do to get it really really tight... I'll see what I can get done with the SQL table tomorrow... and double check a few things are still working.

I'll re-evaluate after that. Might put a release out before the new version of the map is ready? might not? it's easier to not do them all at once.

You're trying to do an awful lot in a single release. I'd say get it out there. It doesn't have to be the end-all be-all release, do it in chunks.

My biggest problem is I like to play a package for a solid few days after I feel it's ready... even doing that I always miss something...

The other thing is that once I update DZC I HAVE to fix any major flaws which I don't really have any time to deal with anytime soon...

I'm going to go over a few things and see how it looks as it is now... It's releasable for sure, but I'd like to have it a bit more polished as always....

Also I'm waiting on another version of the map from M1lkm8n, there are a few of the buildings that are in this build that are broken-ish. (2 specifically)

I Got MH60 dynamic crashes working, so now all the different helicopters can be spotted in the sky and dynamically crash...

Am going to redo all the loot tables, that goes real quick with excel sheet I use.

I got the loot position editor all setup so it should be decently fast for me to go through once and fix some loot positions, and then go back through and place all new zombie spawn positions, this should get rid of the glitched/paused zombies spawning under towers, or climbing ladders and jumping off, or spawning in high spots to start...

Still have two stupid errors I cant find the root of (again I think one if in the models, the other one I introduced when moving some stuff to smd_assets, but I can fix that easy enough)

I'm getting closer, and or someone else might help with the Debug monitor/all hints recolor.... That will make the recolored UI head to toe. I'm going to play with the alpha a bit more on the menu's.

Build is getting REALLY tight...

Oh I swapped a bunch of the crappy A1 buildings we called on configtowngenerator with our improved ones again...

I'll touch base with M1lkm8n and get a timeline from him. I could back off to the older build of the map that is currently released for A2. that does not have the newly introduced "bugged" building.

And when I mean cool stuff... I mean COOOOOL stuff...

M1lkm8n and an Arma community member who helped him with the bridge and hanger animations, actually took part in the latest project...

It includes weapon class specific damage... notice the walls taking damage from the heavy MG on the tank prior to the same MG taking out the door... then switching to the tank rounds the walls don't stand a chance.

This is still not final but I think it's pretty F'ing amazing:

Down with brown.... The debug monitor color has been changed. It was, once again, so embarrassingly easy once I knew it could work that I want to cry. Ian Banks, a couple guys from the Official DayZ(tm) Mod Dev Team, and finally kju all basically told me over and over what it should be, but I ended up having it nested wrong...

UX6nP0ul.jpg

I also have almost all the loot positions re-mapped with separate zombie spawn locations, so no more diving or frozen zombies hopefully...

I have to redo the splash screen, button up the loot tables/positions, and that is about it, I might try to get the SQL tables sorted so it's a really nice neat package for folks moving forward

Should be ready for an actual... dare I say? 1.0 release?

Date - Hopefully by the weekend, although the details might kill that... and again I really want to wait for the next version of the map, one of the buildings has screwy doors right now.... when they look open they're closed.

Dev Tools - I thought this was all sorted? Folks re-mapped their hotkeys. Or is this about the absence of the lobby? I really don't want to dump the lobby... like REALLY don't want to. Admins should be able to work around it.

Forgotten stuff - I adjusted ALL the vehicle speeds so they're more realistic. Trucks, Offroad Vehicles like Moto's and ATV's all don't slow down off road at all... BUT they have lowered top speeds. The large trucks, and HMMWV's are STUPID slow.. sorry... it's more in line with reality, an actual military hummer will do tops 60mph but it will do it through a forest knocking over trees the whole time... Cars are now faster and do get slowed down offroad but not as bad as in default Arma.

Have gotten almost all of the redone loot and now zed positions put in. There are about 10 buildings left to do that I've already done positions for, then there are prob. another 10-20 buildings that I didn't do in the 1st sweep and will have to add to my loot editing mission to do.

ALL buildings done have gone from only specifying lootpos, and sometimes min/max roaming, they now have lootpos, lootChance, Zedpos, ZombieChance, min/max roaming, and will be adding/cleaning up the zombieclasses for specific buildings.

Then I just need to:

1. Adjust the loot tables a little bit. Going to remove the clothing from residential completely. Only leave some mil skins in the military or maybe even only the military special table... All the US and RACS night/grey camo is going to get moved to heli wreck only.

2. Adjust original SQL table maybe.

3. Edit Splash Screen/Art

4. Get the soundtrack added, I tried it a few times before but as usual could not get it working straight off... so we'll see... if it works great if not I'm going to have to worry about some other time.

Overall it really looks great. I'm genuinely pleased with almost every aspect of it... I wish the zombies were harder like they were in .2.1, I might see if I can get that horrific level of difficulty back... I really liked that... Also want to play with the strength of the zombies, no matter what I do 7.62 to the head and usually even body kills zeds... I think it's to do with the USEC damage system but I'm not sure at all... I will take a gander at it and see if it's something I can mess with or not...

Once the loot positions are done, it's releasable, 2-4/5 are all gravy.... I do want to see where M1lkm8n stands though, he has a few new buildings done... I'd prefer to wait so A2/DayZ are all on the same map.

Back